F.R.I.E.N.D.S and How I Met Your Mother have been entertaining us from quite a time and I am sure will continue doing it for another decade. Let’s find out the winner out of the two.
1) F.R.I.E.N.D.S was shot in front of a live audience, whereas HIMYM was not shot in front of a live audience. Thus F.R.I.E.N.D.S was more of a theatrical act and HIMYM was pictured cinematically.
2) The finale of F.R.I.E.N.D.S brought a smile to its audience, not because it ended, but because it ended very gracefully. On the other hand, this “happily ever after” ending was missing in the finale of HIMYM. Moreover, most of the audience was not satisfied with the way it ended.
3) Storytelling style and the way drama was created in HIMYM was definitely in a way better than F.R.I.E.N.D.S because of its limitation in shooting in front of a live audience.
4) F.R.I.E.N.D.S definitely wins on the comedy factor. HIMYM had its comical elements, but F.R.I.E.N.D.S is the winner.
5) Well, it looks like HIMYM was kind of inspired from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I mean common, a group of friends, one of them married, rest have their ups and downs. So in a way, yes it was inspired.
6) For F.R.I.E.N.D.S it was the coffee shop which was their best hang out place and for HIMYM it was their bar.
7) Let’s see how far the title is justified. So, for F.R.I.E.N.D.S, hands down it was justified. Friendship, relationship, pain, sorrow and what not. Everything was taken care of. HIMYM was more of like Ted & Robin. The mother wasn’t given the importance it deserved.
8) Equal importance was given to all the characters of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. They were given equal punch lines. This was kind of missing in HIMYM.
9) You could actually relate to the characters in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. We all have Ross, Monica, Rachel, Chandler, Phoebe, and Joey. Okay, you might not have a replica, but more or less we have one. As far as HIMYM was concerned, we might have one of those as well but nothing can beat F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
Well, I might sound a little biased, but for me, F.R.I.E.N.D.S. is a clear cut winner. For you, it might be the other way round. After all, we are different people with different perspectives. Anything that makes us happy or anything which is relatable is in a way likable.
So….what’s your pick?
Misha has a passion for traveling and dancing. She is a movie buff and enjoys eating, shopping, reading (only SELECTIVE reading) and a bit of writing too. Professor by profession, she never forgets to carry one thing to work or wherever she goes…and that’s her smile..