The title of the episode was “The Last Laugh” and it truly justified its name, as it was all about Gerome a.k.a Joker. It continued with a darker tone established by the first two episodes, but had a slow pace. The villains are rising in Gotham, causing mayhem and chaos on the streets. Here are 5 WTF Moments from the episode:
- Death of Gerome: One of the most iconic villains of Batman universe is “The Joker”, and the TV show killed him in the third episode. Why would anyone do that? The show-runners explained that the idea is to honor the legacy of Joker and its impact on the city of Gotham. When Gerome killed his father, his last words were “Children will wake up screaming thinking of you and your legacy will be of death and madness”.
- Jim Gordon is on a Warpath: Jim Gordon is exasperated with the current state of affairs in Gotham, he is willing to bend laws to accomplish his goals.
- Bruce Wayne & Alfred meets Leslie Tompkins:For the first time, Lee (current girlfriend of Detective Gordon) meets Bruce Wayne at a charity ball. She is passionate about working for the underprivileged children. In comics, she is more of a motherly figure to him, but the show will explore their relationship differently. Alfred was shown flirting with Lee.
- Theon Galavant positioning himself as a savior of Gotham: In the hostage situation, Theon Galavant stabbed Gerome from the back and projected himself as the hero who saved the day. This is a perfect setting to explore “The Court of Owls” plot in the show.
- Mayhem on the Streets: As there was live telecast of every brutal act committed by Gerome, it left a terrible impact on the psyche of residents of Gotham. The forewarning of Gerome’s father is actually turning real as people on the streets are increasingly getting crazier and violent.