“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One doesn’t love breathing.”
The above quote by Harper Lee only reiterates her love for books and the most amazing works she penned down. The world mourns a great loss of this literary persona.
She shot to fame with her first novel and in spite of streams of controversies regarding hovering, she won the Pulitzer Prize. Harper Lee was undoubtedly a woman of her own. She passed away recently, having written 2 books (‘Go Set a Watchman’ being a sequel to the ragingly famous ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’)
Read on to find the most hauntingly beautiful quotes from the novel that sum up her life.
- You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb on his skin and walk around in it.
- Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ’em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.
- The last line of the novel: Scout: “Atticus, he was real nice.”
- You just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you, don’t let ’em get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change… it’s a good one, even if it does resist learning.
- I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.
- It was in times like these, when I thought that my father, who hates guns and had never been to a war, was the bravest man who ever lived.
- “I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”
- Atticus: “Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”
- Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through, no matter what.
- Sometimes the bible in the hand of one is worse than a bottle of whisky in the hands of another. There are just some kinds of men who’re so busy worrying about the next world that they’ve never learned to live in this one.
Rest in peace, Harper Lee, and thank you.
A student of English Literature at the Delhi University, Shruti is a diehard fan of Hugh Laurie, J.K. Rowling, Khaled Hosseini and Robert Downey Jr. Passionate about food, books, movies and sitcoms, this Potterhead has found her niche in creative writing and plans to go places.