Places to Visit in Madurai:
When you think of Madurai, the first thing that strikes you is the majestic Meenakshi Amman Temple. Madurai is a very popular pilgrimage city in the state of Tamil Nadu that is visited by thousands throughout the year. There are innumerable places to visit in Madurai that will leave you spellbound by its majestic grandeur.
- Meenakshi Amman Temple is an iconic landmark of the city of Madurai. The breathtaking Dravidian style of architecture and 13 acres of pure grandeur makes for the impressive Meenakshi Temple.
- Koodal Azhagar Temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is an architectural marvel. The rajagopuram of the Koodal Azhagar Temple stands mighty at 120 feet and is 5 tiered.
- Thirupparamkunram Murugan Temple is a spectacular rock-cut temple. An architectural wonder the temple is a must-visit. The temple is also known for its distinct placement of the statutes of Lord Shiva and Vishnu who face each other in the temple.
- Alagar Kovil is a fantastic specimen of Dravidian style of architecture. It stands out against the lush green hills with its life-size sculptures and intricate colorful carvings. Also known as Kallazhagar the temple is thronged by thousands through the year.
- Thirumalai Nayak Mahal is another beautiful place to visit in Madurai. The palace was built in 1636 and is a specimen of Indo – Saracen style of architecture. The palace has the most delicately decorated interiors filled with Shaivite and Vaishnavite themes.
- Other places include Pudhu Mandapam, Gandhi memorial museum, Kazimar big mosque, Yanainalai and others.
The innumerable big and small Dravidian style temples that dot the city of Madurai, the ancient blended so well with the modern, Madurai is a city that gives you an unforgettable experience. The places to visit in Madurai encompass the numerous temples and shrines, the bustling markets and so much more.